The Importance of a Franchise Operations ManualPosted on: Thursday, 28 May 2020 3:00 pm
What is a Franchise Operations Manual?
Launching a franchise requires a plenitude of planning and preparation, not to mention paperwork. Tying all of these elements together, a franchise operations manual is one of the most important pieces of the franchise puzzle. It’s a document that provides both existing and potential franchisees, as well as franchisors, with everything they need to know about setting up and running a franchise.
An extensive document usually ranging between 100 and 300 pages long, a franchise operations manual lays out essential information regarding every aspect of the franchise. It covers the business’ products/services, systems and operations; how franchisees should run their franchise in line with the company’s standards; and the responsibilities of both the franchisor and the franchisee.
The content included in a franchise operations manual isn’t set in stone; it can be easily adapted as the business changes, whether that’s as it grows or streamlines, launches a new product or service, or introduces new positions and departments within the company.
What’s included in a franchise operations manual varies from company to company, but a good quality manual will include all, if not most, of the following information:
- The responsibilities of the franchisor.
- The responsibilities of the franchisee.
- The standards of the franchise.
- Instructions and examples of best practices in every aspect of the franchise.
- Guidelines for hiring and training staff, as well as disciplinary processes for existing employees.
- Health and safety rules and regulations.
- Instructions for how to use company equipment and software.
- Financial management guidelines.
- How to deal with complaints from both employees and customers.
- List of approved suppliers.
- Information required for franchisor audits, assessments and monitoring.
- Marketing materials and distribution methods.
- Visual branding guidelines.
Why is a Franchise Operations Manual So Important?
A franchise operations manual is perhaps the most important piece of documentation in the franchising process. It serves a number of important purposes for both the franchisor and franchisees (new and old) while establishing a blueprint for franchising success.
Let’s take a look at why a franchise operations manual is so important.
- It provides new franchisees with all the information, advice and tools they need to successfully set up, run and grow their franchise.
- It enforces company standards across the entire franchise networking, ensuring that each individual franchise is being run properly and best practices are being followed.
- It creates continuity throughout your franchise network, ensuring that the customer experience is the same across all franchises while upholding the integrity of your brand.
- It protects you in the event of a legal dispute, as franchisor and franchisee responsibilities are clearly outlined.
- It improves the recruitment process, helping to ensure high-quality hires and staff training.
- It ensures the safety and wellbeing of employees, customers and visitors.
- It optimises finances between franchised units and dedicated suppliers, helping to maximise profitability.
- It allows franchisees to understand your business, deepening their knowledge, passion and dedication.
- It has lasting value, as it not only gets new franchisees up to speed, but it can be referred back to by existing franchisees at any time.
- It makes life easier for both you and your franchisees, streamlining the whole process while saving you time, energy and hassle.
Why Let The Franchise Company Write Your Franchise Operations Manual?
Writing a franchise operations manual can be a difficult and daunting task, not to mention an exhausting process. Knowing what to write about and understanding the best way to format it is crucial, while finding the time outside of running your business can be an even bigger challenge. Franchise operations manuals written by franchisors are never as detailed as those written by professional franchise consultants.
This is where The Franchise Company comes in. Our team of experienced franchise consultants have the expertise, enthusiasm and dedication to create a comprehensive, high-quality franchise operations manual that’s tailored for your business. Whether you’re looking to create a franchise operations manual from scratch or update your existing manual to reflect the current status of your company, we can help.
When it comes to creating a high-quality franchise operations manual, length and depth is key. Backed by years of experience working with a range of clients, our franchise consultants are committed to creating the most detailed, accurate and easy-to-understand document. In doing so, you’re able to provide your franchisees with all the information they need to succeed while helping to minimise mistakes and covering all your bases from a legal standpoint.
With The Franchise Company by your side, you can be sure that your franchise operations manual not only provides the utmost clarity for both you and your franchisees, but creates a solid foundation on which to successfully franchise your business, whether you’re launching your very first franchise or growing your existing franchise network.
To learn more about how The Franchise Company can help you with your franchise operations manual, get in touch with our friendly team today.